Amplified DNA Product Separation for Forensic Analysts
This course provides information in three lessons.
Amplification and Electrophoresis Overview. Learn the process of electrophoresis to identify the components for successful separation of amplified DNA products, the differences between the methods of agarose gel and polyacrylamide electrophoresis, and the methods used to detect amplified DNA products separated using different types of slab-gel electrophoresis apparatus.
Capillary Electrophoresis. Learn the basic principles of capillary electrophoresis, advantages of capillary electrophoresis over slab gels, capillary electrophoresis system components, how capillary electrophoresis systems function, the instruments used by the forensic science community, and how to troubleshoot ABI Prism® instruments.
Sample Preparation and Handling. Learn the denaturation process of amplified DNA products for sample injection, the importance of formamide quality, the quality control measures for assessing formamide quality, and the pros and cons of using water in place of formamide.
Taking the Course
Starting the course. Select the top link in the navigation on the right.
Navigating the course. We recommend you go through the course page-by-page using the Forward and Back buttons at the bottom of the page. You may skip around and select lessons using the navigation on the right.
PDF Version of this Course
There is a PDF version of this course available. View the Full Course PDF version.
You will need the free Adobe PDF reader that is available here.
Information addressed in this interactive training program is delivered in two modules. Select a module below to begin.
Additional Online Courses
- What Every First Responding Officer Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Collecting DNA Evidence at Property Crime Scenes
- DNA – A Prosecutor’s Practice Notebook
- Crime Scene and DNA Basics
- Laboratory Safety Programs
- DNA Amplification
- Population Genetics and Statistics
- Non-STR DNA Markers: SNPs, Y-STRs, LCN and mtDNA
- Firearms Examiner Training
- Forensic DNA Education for Law Enforcement Decisionmakers
- What Every Investigator and Evidence Technician Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Principles of Forensic DNA for Officers of the Court
- Law 101: Legal Guide for the Forensic Expert
- Laboratory Orientation and Testing of Body Fluids and Tissues
- DNA Extraction and Quantitation
- STR Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Communication Skills, Report Writing, and Courtroom Testimony
- Español for Law Enforcement
- Amplified DNA Product Separation for Forensic Analysts