Population Genetics and Statistics
This course provides information in the two lessons.
Population Theory. Learn the basic terms in population genetics, factors that can alter allele frequencies in a population, and calculations associated with the Hardy-Weinberg principle.
Statistics. Learn the importance and use of statistics and probability to the field of forensic science, how to use at least one of the accepted statistical approaches to evaluate DNA data, and how DNA population databases are constructed and used.
Taking the Course
Starting the course. Select the top link in the navigation on the right.
Navigating the course. We recommend you go through the course page-by-page using the Forward and Back buttons at the bottom of the page. You may skip around and select lessons using the navigation on the right.
Information addressed in this interactive training program is delivered in two modules. Select a module below to begin.
Additional Online Courses
- What Every First Responding Officer Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Collecting DNA Evidence at Property Crime Scenes
- DNA – A Prosecutor’s Practice Notebook
- Crime Scene and DNA Basics
- Laboratory Safety Programs
- DNA Amplification
- Population Genetics and Statistics
- Non-STR DNA Markers: SNPs, Y-STRs, LCN and mtDNA
- Firearms Examiner Training
- Forensic DNA Education for Law Enforcement Decisionmakers
- What Every Investigator and Evidence Technician Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Principles of Forensic DNA for Officers of the Court
- Law 101: Legal Guide for the Forensic Expert
- Laboratory Orientation and Testing of Body Fluids and Tissues
- DNA Extraction and Quantitation
- STR Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Communication Skills, Report Writing, and Courtroom Testimony
- Español for Law Enforcement
- Amplified DNA Product Separation for Forensic Analysts