Forensic science is the application of sciences such as physics, chemistry, biology, computer science and engineering to matters of law.
NIJ’s forensic science research and development program focuses on basic and applied scientific research with the intent to:
- Direct the findings of basic scientific research in broader scientific fields applicable to forensic science.
- Apply forensic science research to the development of highly discriminating, accurate, reliable, cost-effective, rapid methods for the identification, analysis and interpretation of physical evidence.
- Expand the scientific basis of forensic methods.
- Produce useful materials, devices, systems or methods that have the potential for forensic application.
- Increase the body of knowledge to guide and inform forensic science policy and practice.
On this page, find links to articles, awards, events, publications, and multimedia related to forensic sciences.
Be the first to know
NIJ's Forensic Science Technology Center of Excellence presents Just Science, a podcast for forensic science professionals.