Forensic science is the application of sciences such as physics, chemistry, biology, computer science and engineering to matters of law.
NIJ’s forensic science research and development program focuses on basic and applied scientific research with the intent to:
- Direct the findings of basic scientific research in broader scientific fields applicable to forensic science.
- Apply forensic science research to the development of highly discriminating, accurate, reliable, cost-effective, rapid methods for the identification, analysis and interpretation of physical evidence.
- Expand the scientific basis of forensic methods.
- Produce useful materials, devices, systems or methods that have the potential for forensic application.
- Increase the body of knowledge to guide and inform forensic science policy and practice.
- Research on the Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation of Elderly Individuals, Fiscal Year 2020
- Tribal-Researcher Capacity Building Grants Solicitation, Fiscal Year 2020
- Research and Evaluation for the Testing and Interpretation of Physical Evidence in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories, Fiscal Year 2020