NIJ awards grants and agreements for:
- Research, development and evaluation (CFDA 16.560). NIJ funds physical and social science research, development and evaluation projects about criminal justice through competitive solicitations. The focus of the solicitations varies from year to year based on research priorities and available funding.
- Forensic laboratory enhancement. NIJ provides funding through formula and discretionary awards to reduce evidence backlogs and improve the quality and timeliness of forensic science and medical examiner services. Programs include:
- Research fellowships. NIJ funds two fellowships through annual solicitations. The focus of the solicitations varies from year to year.
Other than through the forensic laboratory enhancement programs, NIJ does not fund proposals primarily to purchase equipment, materials or supplies, or to provide direct services.
Find a Funding Opportunity
Look for current funding opportunities:
You also can:
- Review a list of forthcoming solicitations from NIJ.
- Review a list of expired solicitations and resulting awards.
- Sign up for an e-mail update whenever we release a new solicitation.
Unsolicited Proposals. Although you may submit unsolicited proposals, you are discouraged from doing so unless you have discussed the concept with NIJ staff and been asked to submit a proposal that does not fit into a specific solicitation. Unsolicited proposals may receive either an external peer review or an internal review. If the proposal fits into an already established solicitation category, it will be returned with a recommendation to resubmit it under that solicitation.