Communication Results for Forensic Analysts
This course provides information in the three lessons.
Communication Skills. Learn to choose the ideal modality for message delivery considering the purpose, location, and audience; effectively present technical information verbally; organize thoughts and create an extended outline before writing; and organize papers using bullet points.
Report Writing. Learn requirements for an STR (Short Tandem Repeats) DNA report and guidelines for writing a good STR DNA report.
Courtroom Testimony. Become familiar with courtroom structure and personnel within the court; basic courtroom procedures and protocols; rules of evidence, discovery, and admissibility; general qualifications to testify as an expert witness; appropriate demeanor and attire; how to present technical testimony and evidence; the ethical considerations when presenting DNA-related testimony and the impact of providing faulty or erroneous evidence; and basic techniques for handling hostile attorneys.
Taking the Course
Starting the course. Select the top link in the navigation on the right.
Navigating the course. We recommend you go through the course page-by-page using the Forward and Back buttons at the bottom of the page. You may skip around and select lessons using the navigation on the right.
PDF Version of this Course
There is a PDF version of this course available. View the Full Course PDF version.
You will need the free Adobe PDF reader that is available here.
Information addressed in this interactive training program is delivered in two modules. Select a module below to begin.
Additional Online Courses
- What Every First Responding Officer Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Collecting DNA Evidence at Property Crime Scenes
- DNA – A Prosecutor’s Practice Notebook
- Crime Scene and DNA Basics
- Laboratory Safety Programs
- DNA Amplification
- Population Genetics and Statistics
- Non-STR DNA Markers: SNPs, Y-STRs, LCN and mtDNA
- Firearms Examiner Training
- Forensic DNA Education for Law Enforcement Decisionmakers
- What Every Investigator and Evidence Technician Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Principles of Forensic DNA for Officers of the Court
- Law 101: Legal Guide for the Forensic Expert
- Laboratory Orientation and Testing of Body Fluids and Tissues
- DNA Extraction and Quantitation
- STR Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Communication Skills, Report Writing, and Courtroom Testimony
- Español for Law Enforcement
- Amplified DNA Product Separation for Forensic Analysts