DNA Extraction and Quantitation for Forensic Analysts
This course provides information in the following five lessons:
DNA Analysis Considerations. Learn to identify potential obstacles in collection, extraction, and amplification; and describe potential PCR inhibitors and techniques to overcome them.
Organic Extraction. Learn the steps for and advantages and disadvantages of extracting DNA using an organic extraction method.
Chelex®100 Extraction. Learn steps for and advantages and disadvantages of using this method.
Other Extraction Techniques. Learn about commercial kits, the advantages and disadvantages of proprietary reagents and materials, determining the appropriate application of various techniques, and use of commercial materials in automated systems.
Quantitation. Learn why quantitation is necessary, the advantages and disadvantages of principal methods, the basic chemistry involved, about commonly used proprietary kits, and the calculations and dilutions to target specific amounts of DNA suitable for PCR.
Taking the Course
Starting the course. Select the top link in the navigation on the right.
Navigating the course. We recommend you go through the course page-by-page using the Forward and Back buttons at the bottom of the page. You may skip around and select lessons using the navigation on the right.
PDF Version of this Course
There is a PDF version of this course available. View the Full Course PDF version.
Information addressed in this interactive training program is delivered in two modules. Select a module below to begin.
Additional Online Courses
- What Every First Responding Officer Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Collecting DNA Evidence at Property Crime Scenes
- DNA – A Prosecutor’s Practice Notebook
- Crime Scene and DNA Basics
- Laboratory Safety Programs
- DNA Amplification
- Population Genetics and Statistics
- Non-STR DNA Markers: SNPs, Y-STRs, LCN and mtDNA
- Firearms Examiner Training
- Forensic DNA Education for Law Enforcement Decisionmakers
- What Every Investigator and Evidence Technician Should Know About DNA Evidence
- Principles of Forensic DNA for Officers of the Court
- Law 101: Legal Guide for the Forensic Expert
- Laboratory Orientation and Testing of Body Fluids and Tissues
- DNA Extraction and Quantitation
- STR Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Communication Skills, Report Writing, and Courtroom Testimony
- Español for Law Enforcement
- Amplified DNA Product Separation for Forensic Analysts