This webinar will discuss the challenges and opportunities regarding the implementation of the NIBIN program. The NIBIN program has the potential to find links in cases involving firearms that can quickly assist in an investigation.
Detailed Learning Objectives:
- Understanding what NIBIN is and its minimum operating standards.
- The processing of firearms evidence from collection to NIBIN entry at the Utah State Laboratory and Phoenix Police Laboratory.
- Lessons learned from implementing the NIBIN program from the ground up including communication and increased case load.
- Jennifer Gelston – Senior Forensic Scientist and the NIBIN Program Administrator for the Utah Bureau of Forensic Services
- Justin Bechaver – Forensic Scientist Manager and Technical Leader of the Firearm and Tool Marks section of the Utah Bureau of Forensic Services
- Jessica Ellefritz – Criminal Intelligence Analyst with Phoenix Police Department Violent Crimes Bureau
- Benjamin Swanholm – Assistant Crime Lab Administrator for the Phoenix Police Department Laboratory Services Bureau