Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2011, $224,974)
The Department will dedicate a Detective on a full-time basis to locate and analyze biological evidence associated with violent crime cold cases. The Detective will be under the supervision of the Homicide Unit Sergeant.
Requested funding from the National Institute of Justice will allow the Department to implement the proposed initiative:
- Identify, review, and prioritize ninety (90) cold homicide cases;
- Evaluate and identify all evidentiary items found suitable for DNA analysis to be submitted to accredited State and private laboratories for testing; and
- ensure the active follow-up investigation of suspects identified through DNA analysis and when applicable, submit completed investigations to the State Attorney for prosecution.
- Understanding the Quality and Perceived Impacts of SRO Training: An Evaluation of the Largest National Training Provider for School Police
- Developing and Validating Standards for Dental Cementum Age-at-Death and Season-of-Death Estimation
- THRIVE: Transformative Health and Reproductive Information for Incarcerated Women's Empowerment.