With this solicitation, NIJ seeks applications for funding of multidisciplinary research projects addressing three topics:
1) The impact of fatigue and stress on officer performance.
2) Enhancing strategies for officer interaction with mentally ill individuals.
3) Advancing Resiliency for the Forensic Workforce- Understanding the Impact and Management of Stress, Burnout, and Vicarious Trauma.
This solicitation supports the U.S. Department of Justice priority of protecting officers and other public safety personnel. This solicitation also supports the following five objectives of the NIJ Safety, Health, and Wellness Strategic Research Plan 2016-2021 (August 2016):
1) Objective I.2: Support development, and promote strategies, policies, practices, and technologies that enhance the safety of criminal justice personnel.
2) Objective I.4: Develop policies, strategies, and technologies to promote safety in criminal justice interactions with the public.
3) Objective II.1: Promote research to improve the physical and mental health of individuals working in the criminal justice system.
4) Objective II.2: Study both trauma and suicide among criminal justice employees.
5) Objective II.4: Promote science-based tools and strategies to monitor physical and mental health.