U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government, Department of Justice.

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Https

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program

Opportunity ID
NIJ-2016-8974
Solicitation Status
Closed
Fiscal Year
2016
Closing Date
Posting Date
Description

Notice

In fiscal 2020, all state and local forensic capacity enhancement programs previously managed by NIJ moved to the Bureau of Justice Assistance.

The awards made under this solicitation now are being managed by the Bureau of Justice Assistance. To see the complete list of awards, visit the Bureau of Justice Assistance.

This program seeks to improve the quality and timeliness of forensic science and medical examiner services, including services provided by laboratories operated by States and units of local government. Among other things, funds may be used to eliminate a backlog in the analysis of forensic evidence and to train and employ forensic laboratory personnel, as needed, to eliminate such a backlog. The Coverdell Act requires that 75 percent of the total program funds be awarded to states through State Administering Agencies (SAAs). These "base" awards are based on the state's population and made to all eligible SAAs that apply. The Coverdell Act requires that remaining 25 percent of program funds be awarded competitively. These "competitive" funds may be awarded to SAAs or dispersed directly to units of local government based on the merits of the respective applications.

Awards

Number of Awards: 74
Total Amount Awarded: $11,959,348

Date Created: February 24, 2016