Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2018, $96,469)
The primary goal of this research is to extend what has been learned in a previous NIJ funded project (Award 2015-DN-BX-K058). In our prior work, we established the means to derivatize and identify drugs in microliter quantities of organic solvents using total vaporization solid-phase microextraction (TV-SPME).
Two serendipitous discoveries from our prior work were that 1) solid drug mixtures and 2) aqueous solutions can be analyzed "as is" using SPME combined with appropriate derivatization reagents. This was unexpected yet opened the possibility of drug analysis with no sample preparation other than placing the sample in a headspace vial.
In this project, we will design SPME techniques for the following types of drug exhibit:
1) Solid drug samples, including the most common seized drugs (e.g., methamphetamine, heroin, and cocaine), where the drug is not necessarily derivatized.
2) Liquid samples, including gamma hydroxy butylate (GHB) in alcoholic beverages and trace amounts of drugs and their metabolites in urine samples.
3) Plant material (e.g., marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids) where SPME can extract active ingredients "as is" or after derivatization.
A representative from each of the three drug types will be optimized using multi-variate techniques and made available for transfer to forensic science laboratories. Overall, this work will directly address several of the operational requirements of the Forensic Science Technology Working Group for controlled substances.
This project contains a research and/or development component, as defined in applicable law, and complies with Part 200 Uniform Requirements - 2 CFR 200.210(a)(14).
- A Micro-and Macro Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Extreme Risk Protection Orders in Colorado
- Research and Development of an Approach for Non-invasive Determination of Cannabis Ingestion for Forensic Science Purposes
- Accuracy, Efficacy, and Reproducibility of Muzzle-to-Target Distance Determination using Gunshot Residue