Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2010, $37,990)
This project covers a ten year period from 1998-2007 and will conduct research on violence involved during the execution of the crime of burglary. The research team is interested in answering seven fundamental research questions. The first five questions involve analysis of the Uniform Crime Reports, the National Crime Victimization Survey, and the National Incident Based Reporting System. The final two questions involve content analysis of federal and state burglary statutes using the Lexis-Nexis database. The seven questions are
1. Do residential and nonresidential burglaries exhibit different levels of violence?
2. How frequently is a household member present during a residential burglary?
3. How frequently does violence occur in the commission of a burglary?
4. What forms does burglary-related violence take?
5. Are there differences in rates of violence between attempted and completed burglaries?
6. How do the federal government and the various states define burglary (grades and elements)?
7. How do federal and state jurisdictions count or treat the crime of burglary in the sentencing of offenders? ca/ncf