With this solicitation, NIJ seeks applications for funding of multidisciplinary research projects addressing three topics:
1) The impact of fatigue and stress on officer performance.
2) Enhancing strategies for officer interaction with mentally ill individuals.
3) Advancing Resiliency for the Forensic Workforce- Understanding the Impact and Management of Stress, Burnout, and Vicarious Trauma.
This solicitation supports the U.S. Department of JusticeÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs priority of protecting officers and other public safety personnel. This solicitation also supports the following five objectives of the NIJ Safety, Health, and Wellness Strategic Research Plan 2016-2021 (August 2016):
1) Objective I.2: Support development, and promote strategies, policies, practices, and technologies that enhance the safety of criminal justice personnel.
2) Objective I.4: Develop policies, strategies, and technologies to promote safety in criminal justice interactions with the public.
3) Objective II.1: Promote research to improve the physical and mental health of individuals working in the criminal justice system.
4) Objective II.2: Study both trauma and suicide among criminal justice employees.
5) Objective II.4: Promote science-based tools and strategies to monitor physical and mental health.