Many of our solicitations encourage research partnerships and require applicants to include a strong letter of support, signed by an appropriate decision-making authority from each proposed partnering entity. NIJ continues to strongly encourage prospective applicants to submit executed agreements necessary to carrying out the work proposed with applications, if they can be obtained, but with an understanding of the circumstances surrounding the pandemic, NIJ will accept applications without them. Applicants selected for award will be required to submit completed agreements by January 1, 2021.Research partner agreements are formal written agreements with any research partner providing, generating, or substantively contributing to data used for research activities funded through this grant award. Funds will be withheld until such agreements have been received.
OJP is actively assessing the potential impacts that COVID-19 may have on the FY 2020 grant application process. At this time, solicitations with application due dates before April 1st will have a 2 week extension for submission. We will continue to monitor the situation and determine if additional adjustments to closing dates will be needed.
In fiscal 2020, all state and local forensic capacity enhancement programs previously administered by NIJ moved to the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA). BJA has released the following solicitations:
- FY 2020 Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program – Formula. Closing Date: June 19, 2020
- FY 2020 Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program – Competitive. Closing Date: June 19, 2020
- Prosecuting Cold Cases Using DNA. Closing Date: June 16, 2020
- Sexual Assault Forensic Evidence – Inventory, Tracking, and Reporting (SAFE-ITR) Program. Closing Date: June 15, 2020
- Strengthening the Medical Examiner-Coroner System Program. Closing Date: June 15, 2020
- Postconviction Testing of DNA Evidence. Closing Date: June 15, 2020
Because most solicitations are competitive, we cannot have individual conversations concerning the solicitation with prospective applicants. Any questions concerning open solicitation should be submitted to the NCJRS Response Center by phone 1-800-851-3420 (TTY at 301-240-6310 for hearing impaired only), by email at [email protected], or via web chat.