Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2015, $289,252)
The Pinellas County Forensic Lab (PCFL) provides laboratory services for the forensic analysis of evidence associated with criminal investigations and decedent identification for the law enforcement community and medical examiner's office operating within Pinellas County, Florida. PCFL maintains a full service casework DNA section within its operations.
PCFL is continuing to face budgetary constraints that, coupled with a significant DNA submission rate, and ever changing advancements in the DNA analytical processes and equipment poses challenges to completing laboratory casework in a timely manner. Federal funding from this award will be used for the following goals:
1. Maintain minimal DNA backlogs by maintaining staffing and supply levels.
2. Increase casework capacity by decreasing key bottlenecks in case analysis and management.
3. Maintain or increase current laboratory capabilities by purchasing equipment and supplies.
4. Increase casework capabilities by validating and implementing automation technologies.
PCFL expect to analyze at least 225 additional cases (based upon casework supply funds (66) and casework performed by grant funded analysts (159) over the award period. The agency will maintain an average turnaround time of less than 45 days and maintain productivity levels for of each analyst of at least 60 items per month.
- Preventing the next sext: A behavioral economic approach to understanding nude photo sharing decisions in a high school community
- Molecularly Imprinted Polymer-Modified Microelectrode Arrays for Rapid In-Field Analysis of Trace Illicit Substances in Oral Fluid
- Utilizing eDNA from Four Biological Taxa Associated with Geologic Evidence for Sample-to-Sample Comparisons and Study Site Separation