Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2008, $4,520,295)
The Virginia Department of Forensic Sciences proposes to review cases from 1973 to 1988 where the original analyst has retained either swabbings or cuttings of the evidence in the case file. It is anticipated that approximately 2,200 cases will be reviewed with as many as 700 cases/5600 samples being subjected to DNA testing over the 18 month period. The management plan entails using 11 DFS DNA analysts to review the cases on an overtime basis. The cases that meet the following criteria will be sent out to the BODE Technology group for DNA analysis. The 11 DFS analysts will then conduct the data review for the cases.
The selection criteria for the cases above are:
1. That the analyst retained swabs and/or cuttings in the case file.
2. There was a suspect listed in the case file
3. The named suspect was convicted in the case.
- Experimental and numerical investigations for the development and validation of thermo-chemistry models and property databases for selected wall lining materials under fire exposure
- Recovery and Analysis of Less Volatile Components for the Identification of Ignitable Liquid Residues in Fire Debris - Continuation of current NIJ-funded project (2020-DQ-BX-0003)
- Evaluating the reliability and accuracy of multiple geophysical methods in the search for clandestine graves