Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2017, $355,684)
The Phoenix Police Department Laboratory Services Bureau (PPD-LSB) is responsible for the analysis of evidentiary material associated with criminal investigations within the city limits of Phoenix, Arizona.
The PPD-LSB has a fully operational Forensic Biology Section that is responsible for the screening of evidentiary items for biological evidence, the DNA analysis of biological evidence and the outsourcing of cases for DNA analysis.
The PPD-LSB has a demonstrated history, over the last 10 years, of successfully managing over 43 state and federal grants totaling over $10 million dollars and achieving the project goals.
As with most governmental entities, the PPD-LSB is facing budgetary constraints, but continues to focus on addressing the challenges associated with backlogged cases awaiting DNA analysis. Areas of focus are improving turnaround times and backlog reduction by completing backlogged cases utilizing overtime and outsourcing, providing newly trained DNA analysts and technicians the necessary equipment and software to perform DNA analysis and interpretation, and provide probabilistic statistical software to aid DNA analysts in DNA interpretation of complex DNA mixtures.
The Federal funding from this award will be used for the following goals:
1) The DNA analysis of backlogged Forensic Biology cases using overtime.
2) The DNA analysis of backlogged Forensic Biology cases using outsourcing.
3) Purchase computer systems and software for newly trained DNA analysts and technicians.
4) Purchase STRmix software to aid in the interpretation of complex DNA mixtures.
- Investigating the Effectiveness of the School Security Climate on Student Connectedness and School Performance
- Trends in Arrests and Investigative Techniques of Technology-Facilitated Child Sexual Exploitation Crimes: The 4th National Juvenile Online Victimization Study
- Enhancements to the Medical Examiner''s Office in preparation for accreditation by The National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME)