In fiscal year 2020, all state and local forensic capacity enhancement programs previously administered by NIJ, including most of the programs listed on this page, moved to the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).
NIJ will continue to administer the Research and Evaluation in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories Program, NamUs, and forensic science research and development projects.
NIJ administered funding programs to enhance and assist forensic labs in multiple areas. You can still find general information for each program and list of past awards on NIJ.ojp.gov but all future solicitations will be released and managed by BJA.
- DNA Capacity Enhancement and Backlog Reduction Program
- Forensic DNA Laboratory Efficiency Improvement and Capacity Enhancement Program
- Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program
- Postconviction DNA Testing Assistance Program
- Research and Evaluation in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories
- Sexual Assault Forensic Evidence-Inventory, Tracking, and Reporting Program Grant Program
- Strengthening the Medical Examiner-Coroner System Grant Program
Read summaries of forensic funding for past years: