In fiscal year 2020, all state and local forensic capacity enhancement programs previously administered by NIJ, including most of the programs listed on this page, moved to the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA). BJA is releasing 2020 solicitations associated with the programs listed below. Learn more about this realignment and view a list of open solicitations.
NIJ will continue to administer the Research and Evaluation in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories Program, NamUs, and forensic science research and development projects.
NIJ administers the funding programs to enhance and assist forensic labs in multiple areas.
General information, based on the most recent year's solicitation, is provided for each program. Be sure to read carefully any current solicitation applying to any of these programs.
- DNA Capacity Enhancement and Backlog Reduction Program
- Forensic DNA Laboratory Efficiency Improvement and Capacity Enhancement Program
- Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program
- Postconviction DNA Testing Assistance Program
- Research and Evaluation in Publicly Funded Forensic Laboratories
- Sexual Assault Forensic Evidence-Inventory, Tracking, and Reporting Program Grant Program
- Strengthening the Medical Examiner-Coroner System Grant Program
For information regarding reporting and other administrative requirements under these programs, please consult the solicitation document, or contact the assigned Grant Manager.
Read summaries of forensic funding for past years: