Every year, NIJ awards funding for research, development, evaluation, testing and training and technical assistance projects across the spectrum of criminal justice.
In fiscal year 2008, NIJ made awards:
- In response to competitive solicitations.
- Under one formula award program (Convicted Offender and/or Arrestee DNA Backlog Reduction and Forensic DNA Backlog Reduction Programs).
- Under one solicitation producing both formula and competitive awards (Paul Coverdell Forensic Science Improvement Grants Program).
- As continuations of previously competed awards from past fiscal years.
- In response to Congressional direction.