Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2017, $377,518)
The San Bernardino County Sheriffs Department - Scientific Investigations Division (Crime Laboratory) is part of a unit of local government, and is responsible for analyzing evidential material associated with criminal investigations for local law enforcement agencies within the counties of San Bernardino and Riverside.
The overall goals of the San Bernardino County Sheriffs Department Crime Laboratory are to increase the throughput of our DNA laboratory, reduce DNA casework backlog and reduce DNA case turnaround time. Our objectives will be to fund overtime and supplies to complete backlogged DNA cases, fund necessary training of analysts, fund equipment to assist with sample extractions and cleanup, fund an external DNA audit and fund the replacement of aging equipment within the lab. The projected plans will incorporate the most prudent and efficient use of overtime, supplies, training and other funded categories which will allow us to reach our goals. The Federal funding from this award will assist in giving analysts more time and supplies to work backlogged forensic casework. SBSD-SID will analyze at least 158 forensic biology backlogged DNA cases with the assistance of these funds. This award will be specifically used for the following goals:
1. Reduce the backlog of forensic biology/DNA cases.
2. Increase and maintain the capacity and capabilities of the laboratory.
3. Maintain continuing education for all Criminalists in the DNA unit.
- Trends in Arrests and Investigative Techniques of Technology-Facilitated Child Sexual Exploitation Crimes: The 4th National Juvenile Online Victimization Study
- Enhancements to the Medical Examiner''s Office in preparation for accreditation by The National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME)
- Financial Exploitation Intervention Team Evaluability Assessment