The goals of the NIJ Office of Communications and Operations are to:
- Bridge the science-to-practice gap by giving criminal justice professionals evidence-based knowledge they can use in their work. We collaborate with colleagues within NIJ as well as with recipients of NIJ awards to move NIJ-generated knowledge and tools into the hands of those working in the criminal justice profession.
- Support the mission and staff of NIJ by providing leadership in the planning, development, management, and administration of all support lines of business.
Working with our colleagues here at NIJ and with practitioners, policymakers, and researchers in the field, we create content for:
- NIJ publications, including the award winning NIJ Journal.
- Websites, including NIJ.ojp.gov, CrimeSolutions.ojp.gov and NamUs.gov.
- Trade press, including Forensics, Police Chief and Corrections Today.
- Social Media; follow us on Twitter/OJPNIJ and Facebook/OJPNIJ to keep up with the latest!
The Office of Communications also manages or helps our NIJ colleagues to manage a number of in-person events, including NIJ’s Research for the Real World seminar series and substantive working group meetings, and we support colleagues who manage NIJ’s presence at national events, such as those sponsored by the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, the International Association of Crime Analysts, the American Society of Criminology, and the American Criminal Justice Society.
The Office of Communications’ work has won a number of awards including the following Blue Pencil awards from that National Association of Government Communicators:
- Violence Against American Indian and Alaska Native Women and Men: 2010 Findings From the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey — 2017, First Place, Technical or Statistical Report
- Restrictive Housing in the U.S. Issues, Challenges, and Future Directions (pdf, 420 pages) — 2017, Award of Excellence, Book
- NIJ Journal — 2015, Award of Excellence, Magazine
- Mending Justice: Sentinel Events Review — 2015, Second Place, Special Purpose Publication
- Changing Course: Preventing Gang Membership — 2014, Second Place, Book Category
- Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains: The Nation's Silent Mass — 2008, Award of Excellence, Article
- Lessons Learned from 9/11: DNA Identification in Mass Fatality Incidents — 2007, First Place, Technical or Statistical Reports
Major operations activities include:
- Administrative Support Services. The office provides support services for a wide variety of NIJ functions including facility and property management, space management, system access management, equipment services, and simplified acquisitions. The office also coordinates responses to all Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and advises on Office of Justice Programs (OJP) records retention and disposition requirements.
- Audits. The office is NIJ’s central point of contact for all Office of the Inspector General and Government Accountability Office audits and inquiries, as well as internal audits conducted by the OJP Office of Audit, Assessment and Management. The office also provides information about NIJ programs and responds to special requests from Congress, principal Department of Justice (DOJ) officials, the public, and others.
- Budget Formulation and Execution. The office oversees and manages all budget operations activities, including budget formulation and execution of NIJ’s operational and program budgets. We also coordinate the compilation of budget estimates and help identify program requirements.
- Conference Cost Reporting. The office works closely with NIJ and contract and cooperative agreement awardees to obtain conference approval pursuant to DOJ policy. We advise on current policy and procedures and serve as the primary liaison to verify requirements and troubleshoot problems in order to obtain required approvals.
- Contracts Oversight and Procurement. The office manages NIJ’s procurement activities, including the purchase of specialized technical services, software and supplies. In this capacity, we work with other OJP divisions to direct a full range of contract activity, including the development of specialized statements of work, quality assurance surveillance plans, and independent government cost estimates. In addition, we oversee day-to-day contract administration actions, including contract modifications, monitoring of contract performance, approving of contract invoices, and other contracting officer representative functions.
- Data Call Management. The office serves as the central point of contact for all data calls, working with NIJ program and support staff (as well as staff from other OJP bureaus, programs and support offices) to provide accurate and timely responses. Where needed, we coordinate with the OJP Office of the General Counsel and Office of the Chief Financial Officer to resolve issues and obtain clarifications.
- Inter-Agency Agreements. The office manage all of NIJ’s financial inter-agency agreements with other federal and state agencies.
- Human Resources Management. The office guides NIJ leadership in attracting, developing and maintaining a high-quality and diverse workforce. We coordinate with the OJP Office of Human Resources on recruitment, employee performance management, and continuous learning, as well as employee and labor management issues.
- Peer Review and Solicitation Management. The office manages all technical aspects of the peer review process, from budgeting to contract administration. In addition, we develop timelines for inclusion in the Grant Forecasting Tool to ensure the timely processing of NIJ’s awards.
- Planning. The office develops and implements long- and short-range plans and assists with the development of policies and strategic planning efforts. We serve on cross-agency working groups and boards to ensure that NIJ has the tools and technologies needed to support its mission and to ensure compliance with federal rules and regulations and OJP policies and procedures.
- Training Development and Delivery. The office identifies internal knowledge gaps related to policy and procedure issues, and seeks out training mechanisms to fill these gaps. We also develop training materials to answer common questions and to clarify policy and procedure requirements.
Contact the NIJ Office of Communications and Operations
- For press and congressional inquiries, contact a public affairs specialist in the OJP Office of Communications at 202-307-0703 or [email protected].
- For help with NIJ.ojp.gov or CrimeSolutions.ojp.gov, contact our web content manager.
- To order publications, contact the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS).
- Use our AskNIJ box for general questions about NIJ and our funded research.